Navigating your DUI accident case while in critical condition

On Behalf of | Jun 6, 2023 | DUI Defense |

Accidents while driving under the influence can lead to severe consequences, particularly if you are critically injured. In Indiana, as in other states, the legal and medical repercussions can be challenging to navigate. Understanding what happens to your case in such a situation can help you or your loved ones make informed decisions.

If you are in critical condition following a DUI accident, your physical health is paramount. Concurrently, you need to address legal procedures. Learn more about how such cases generally proceed.

Case progression in your absence

If you are unable to attend legal proceedings due to your medical condition, your DUI case will not come to a halt. The Indiana court system can proceed with the case in your absence. A designated representative can represent you and make necessary decisions on your behalf.

Designated representative’s role

A designated representative can be a trusted family member or friend who will work in your best interest. This individual will work with investigators, handle communication with the other party involved in the accident and meet essential deadlines. They can also represent you in court if required.

Potential compensation and responsibility

If you were not at fault in the accident, your representative can pursue compensation for your injuries, property damage and other losses. This process involves negotiations with the at-fault party’s insurance company or potentially, a lawsuit.

However, if investigations indicate that you were driving under the influence, you may face criminal charges even if you are in critical condition. The state of Indiana treats DUI offenses seriously, and potential penalties can include fines, loss of driving privileges and even incarceration.

Being in a critical medical condition following a DUI accident in Indiana does not halt the legal process associated with the accident. It is important to know that through a designated representative, your case can proceed.

FindLaw Network